Academy of Art University
Library Intranet

Archive for April, 2010

Lost or N/A Billed items with irregular prices - how to deal.

Friday, April 23rd, 2010

Due to an ongoing weirdness in Millennium, the bills for items that we’ve purchased in the last year or so show up as the price that we paid for them, instead of $65. So when a person loses an item and needs to pay for it, their bill will say “25.99″ or whatever instead of $65. What do we do in this situation?

Well! Let me tell you. Do not charge them the price that it says, because they really do need to pay $65. What you’ll need to do is grab a calculator, figure out what the difference between the stated price and $65 is, and add that amount onto their Millennium account as a manual fine. (Please ask me if you don’t know how to do this.) When they pay, check off both the manual fine and the fee that Millennium automatically generates, which will make their bill total $65. Also add an x-note into their account about what you’ve done, so if any future circ workers have questions about what went on, they’ll have some clarification.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me! Thanks,

Heather S.

Printer Working? Maybe?

Sunday, April 18th, 2010

After reading Sloan’s Friday report on the printer breakdown, I tried to troubleshoot it myself, with the Mac/PC networking experience I have.  I think I may have fixed it, but we’ll see what happens today.

Technical details:  The print server (computer on floor below print pay station) has two network cards, one for the color printer side, and one for the library iMacs network side.  It receives data on the iMacs side from the iMacs when they print and queues the print jobs.  The iMacs on the library network get assigned IP addresses when they start up, and they can use any address that’s free at that time.  But the IP address for the print server’s network card has to stay the same fixed address, so that print jobs will always be sent to the same network card in the print server.

I don’t know if it was set manually during troubleshooting Saturday or some other time, but when I looked at it Sunday AM, the card was set to a get an address dynamically at startup.  When an iMac tries to print, the printer software tries to connect to a specific IP address:  You can see this address on a printing iMac sometimes when the connection is lost or very slow.  Anyway, I set the print server’s “iMac-side” network card to this specific and fixed IP address, so presumably it would see any incoming print jobs, and so far the tests have worked.

Once IT- or Mac-Help come in Monday to look at it, we can ask them if this is correct or not (if they know ;) ).