The Academy of Art University Library welcomes gifts of books and other materials that enhance or develop the library collection. Acceptance of gifts depends on the following criteria listed below. The Academy of Art University Library has the right to reject donations when necessary or appropriate.
Many of the same standards of selection applied to purchased materials will be applied to gift acceptance. Primary criteria includes:
- scope of materials
- relevance to the Academy of Art University academic programs
- appropriateness of content and format
- literary or scholarly quality
- physical condition
- Assigned Academy of Art University Library staff will review and screen donated material using the standards. Recommendations for collection additions will be forwarded to the Donations Coordinator for final approval.
- The Academy of Art University Library gladly accepts donations of any size that are dropped off by the donor. The Academy of Art University Library will consider picking up large donations (over 250 titles) if the donor is able to provide a title list and/or detailed information about the collection that a librarian can assess prior to acceptance and pick-up of the donation.
- The donor will be responsible for determining the estimated fair value of items donated.
- All donations become property of the Academy of Art University Library and the library retains the right to dispose unneeded items in any way it sees fit (book sale, discard, donate).
- Academy of Art University Library will not place a value on gifts for tax purposes. Nor will the library provide an itemized list of donated items.
- An acknowledgement letter, which functions as a receipt of goods, can be provided to the donor. All acknowledgement letters will be kept on file at the Academy of Art University Library.