What is LUNA?
LUNA is the Academy of Art University Library’s digital image database, with over 340,000 images available to search and download that support the University’s curriculum. LUNA includes a wide range of image collections such as the AMICA Library, Pratt Fashion Plate Collection, and the Catena Historic Gardens and Landscapes Archives. Faculty can submit requests to the Visual Resources Librarian at any time to have new images digitized and uploaded to LUNA to support their specific courses.
LUNA is a dynamic instruction tool, allowing registered users to create interactive presentations with features such as zooming in on high-resolution images during presentations, instant access to image data, and the integration of images from Flickr. LUNA users also have the ability to export presentations to PowerPoint for use without a network connection. Other options available with LUNA include saving personal annotations with images, and creating unique URLs to share search results and presentations with others in the AAU community.
For more information and to get started using LUNA, please visit:
How Does LUNA Aid Instruction?
- Creating presentations in LUNA can save time each semester by allowing editing and reuse of existing presentations and saved images
- LUNA's interface design is based upon years of research, experience, and collaboration on how reproductions are used in research and teaching
- Students have access to the images and presentations both before and after lectures
- LUNA supports cross-collection searching
- Zoom capabilities show details not normally visible
- Image data can immediately be accessed during LUNA's web-based presentations
- Notations can be added to images to illustrate important points and provide supplemental information
Creating a Personal Account in LUNA
In order to take advantage of LUNA’s full functionality, users must register for a personal account. Simply create a username and password with the Register link in the top menu bar of the database.
Unregistered Users in LUNA Can:
- Search all collections
- Export individual images
- Explore public Media Groups and Presentations
- Play slide shows from Media Groups
- Export Media Groups
- Export Media Groups to PowerPoint
Registered Users in LUNA Can:
- Use all the tools available to unregistered LUNA users
- Create Media Groups and Presentations
- Copy public Media Groups to their own accounts
- Search and integrate external media via Flickr into Media Groups and Presentations
Please contact Miranda Lindelöw, the Visual Resources Coordinator, at (415) 618-3931 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Adding Images to LUNA
Faculty can submit requests to the Library at any time to have new images digitized and uploaded to LUNA to support their specific courses. If you need assistance searching for images or would like more information about the faculty digitization request process, please contact Miranda Lindelöw, the Visual Resources Coordinator, at (415) 618-3931 or email@example.com To submit a digitization request, please click the form link below.